Scouting instills a solid foundation of values and prepares our youth to participate fully in our increasingly complex society. Of all the organized activities available to youth today, Scouting stands alone in its wide range of rich learning experiences that positively affect the lives of youth. A tax deductible contribution to the Boy Scouts of America amounts to an investment in your child, your community, and your country. Contributions of any amount are welcome and appreciated - because it all adds up to make stronger Scouting programs and stronger communities.
Family Friends of Scouting
The cost to provide a quality Scouting program is approximately $150 per youth over and beyond current camp and activity participation fees and United Way contributions that the council receives. One of the ways you can help is supporting the Family Friends of Scouting campaign. Beginning in the first of the year, Packs, Troops, and Crews will be asked to participate in a Family FOS presentation. A representative of your district will come to one of your meetings to talk with parents about the Family FOS campaign. The best time is when you have a majority of your parents in attendance, like a Court of Honor, Blue & Gold Banquet, or a Pack meeting. Each parent should have the opportunity to learn about our operations, and why they should consider making a contribution to support Scouting.
Friends of Scouting
Delivering the promise of programs that shape the lives of young people is the goal of the South Georgia Council, Boy Scouts of America. Because our goal is to serve every available youth that wishes to join Scouting, your generous support is needed to provide quality programs, activities, support services and facilities. A major source of revenue for the Council is the annual Friends of Scouting (FOS) Campaign. The South Georgia Council's campaign asks concerned individuals and community businesses and leaders to financially support the council's operations and continued service to youth and their leaders.Your FOS gift supports the following initiatives:
- Activities for youth that have minimal fees, such as Cub Scout Day Camp, camporees, Cub Family Camping weekends, and many more
- Your council service center for volunteers that provides administrative and program support to unit leaders
- The Scout Shop to provide uniforms, advancement and recognition patches, and program materials for youth and leaders Basic and advanced leader training programs and materials
- A full-time, trained professional staff committed to the continued successful operation of the Scouting program for thousands of youth in our communities
- Liability insurance for adult leaders and chartered organizations
- Accident and sickness insurance coverage for all registered scouts and leaders
- Free services on estate planning, taxes, trusts, wills and planned giving for donors interested in keeping the Scouting program moving forward
South Georgia Council runs a variety of special events throughout the year designed to honor community leaders, tell the story of the council, and to raise funds to support our numerous programs.
Distinguished Citizens Dinner
This gala, black tie affair is designed to honor outstanding citizens in the Valdosta/Lowndes County area. Past recipients have been Ed Crane, Loyce Turner, Dr. Hugh Bailey, Hon. Mac McLane, Joe Cordova, the late Bill Eager, Dr. Ron Zaccari, and Jerry Jennett. Guest speakers have included Saxby Chambliss, Gov. Sonny Perdue, Johnny Isaakson and Jack Kingston.