Scouting for Food
Scouting for Food is an annual food collection orchestrated by Scouts from the South Georgia Council. Local Scouts distribute plastic bags to homes across the region and return to pick up the bags, now filled with food, one week later. Collected food is distributed to needy families throughout the communities of the Council.
Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, Venturing Crews and Explorer Posts throughout the Council will be distributing Scouting for Food donation bags in local neighborhoods. Food collected will be distributed to Second Harvest Food Banks throughout the area.
Bags may be picked up from either Scout Service Center the first week of February or contact your District Executive for more information.
Bag Distribution Date (to homes and businesses): January 25th, 2020
Bag Collection Date: February 1st, 2020
Food Drop off Loation: Will be provided to each unit at bag pickup.
Not sure what you should donate? Here is a list of some of the most highly needed items:
- Non-perishable food items
- Canned protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter)
- Soups & stews (beef stew, chili, meat-based soups)
- 100% fruit juices (all sizes)
- Grains (pasta, whole grain pasta, rice, brown rice, boxed macaroni & cheese)
- Cereals (multi grain, low sugar such as cheerios, cornflakes, raisin bran, grape nuts, oatmeal)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruits
Patches will be provided to particpating Scouts.
Register your unit to participate here: Scouting for Food 2020